Co-Founder & Chief Communications Officer, Knewaira, Inc. (March 2017 – present)
Responsible for the UX/UI design, branding, strategy, digital and creative communications at an early stage startup, Knewaira, Inc. an AI web service platform that helps users reach their learning goals.
Digital Media Trainer & Lecturer (Aug. 2009 – present)
Work with professionals from various fields, sharing, educating and helping them acquire digital skills through in-person interactive and practical media workshops. Develop classes and workshops based on students/participants specific needs with a focus on the importance of storytelling, design thinking, creative problem solving, and free open source digital tools.
- Adjunct Faculty. Philip Merrill College of Journalism, University of Maryland. College Park, MD (Sept. 2014 – present)
- UX Design Trainer. Imparture. Washington, DC (May 2016 – present)
- Multimedia Workshop Facilitator. Independent Contractor. Clients: Meridian International Center, FHI360, Unidad Regional Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla (BUAP), Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO), SENACYT City of Knowledge in Panama. (April 2015 – present)
- Adjunct Faculty. Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, Arizona State University. Phoenix, AZ (Aug. 2009 – Dec. 2010)
Digital Strategist, Multimedia Producer & UX Designer, Various Projects and Contracts (listed below)
Develop strategies that help clients operate more efficiently, grow their business and raise brand awareness. Create design solutions for online projects by following the user-centered design process of researching, ideating, prototyping, and user testing.
– Lead Web Designer, Tech Women Network (Aug. 2016 – March 2017)
Redesigned Tech Women Network’s website and logo. Transformed the original robust Drupal theme into a design that is clean, consistent and user-friendly.
– Web Developer, Twirl New York Magazine (Aug. 2014 – Sept. 2015)
Contracted to develop Twirl New York weddings magazine in WordPress. Created wireframes, researched, selected and customized the main theme by using a Child Theme concept to fit the different story layouts. Created a posting guide for the client takeover. Setup and developed Twirl New York email templates in MailChimp.
– On-Demand Webinar Producer, International Media Solutions LLC (Sept. – Nov. 2015)
Over a three-month period, hired to write, produce and direct five on-demand webinars on applying for grants for the Seed Alliance. Production project leader on the Spanish versions for the Latin America LACNIC program.
– Multimedia Consultant, AZ Big Media (July – Sept. 2013)
Hired on a contract basis to analyze and assess the AZ Big Media’s digital and social media platforms. Managed the development of high-level content, design standards, information architecture, and interface. Consulted with team leads and editors to determine the digital direction and established staffing requirements, budgets, and timelines.
– Multimedia Producer, Cronkite News (Aug. – Dec. 2012)
Managed daily production of multimedia content for the Cronkite News website at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism. Supervised nine producers and taught advanced multimedia storytelling, interactive techniques and skills in a newsroom setting. Designed and developed the Election 2012 coverage web page. During the semester under my management, published more than 550 stories that included slideshows, graphics, charts, timelines, supplemental videos, interactive maps, and databases.
– Lead Web Designer, News21 (Aug. – Sept. 2010)
“Breakdown: Traveling Dangerously in America,” a National News21 Carnegie-Knight Journalism Initiative at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism. Designed the project website and created 16 interactive graphics. The project was also published on msnbc.com and The Washington Post.
Deputy Director & Lecturer, Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, University of Maryland (Dec. 2013 – July 2015)
Deputy director, mentor and lecturer to a group of international media professionals participating in the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program, a Fulbright exchange program, at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism, University of Maryland.
- Developed and taught a class covering online media storytelling, latest digital media trends and leadership skills for managing online projects (Jan. 2014 – March 2017)
- Organized the World Press Freedom Day and helped launch the Press Uncuffed campaign to raise money to free imprisoned journalists around the world by selling bracelets bearing their names at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism (May 4, 2015)
- Lead editor of the Global Leadership Forum (GLF) presentation titled “Reporting on Climate Change” presented in Washington D.C. (Nov. 3, 2014)
- Host family and program volunteer at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, Arizona State University (Aug. 2010 – June 2013)
Social Media Editor, CherylStyle (April 2011 – May 2012)
Managed the Social Media team. Created and implemented the company’s social media strategy, developed brand awareness and generated inbound traffic. Evaluated, planned, organized, managed and contributed to social media channels to reach the company targets and objectives. Worked closely with the Marketing, Editorial and PR teams to support their respective missions, ensuring consistency in voice and cultivating a social media referral network.
Web & Interactive Graphic Designer, Kahala Corp (Sept. 2009 – April 2011)
Planned, analyzed and created visual solutions for the brands’ online presence. Researched and looked for new and innovative social media trends. Designed and executed social media campaigns, such as the Facebook Summer Picnic Gold Cone contest that got nearly 4,000 entries and 56,160 new Facebook fans during the contest period.
Web Content Producer, East Valley Tribune (May 2007 – March 2009)
Created and produced numerous award-winning multimedia Special Reports packages including “Reasonable Doubt” that won the Pulitzer Prize for local reporting in 2009. Created interactive charts, graphics, maps, and databases for online stories. Shot and produced videos. Designed and developed section pages. Maintained the website on a daily basis.